As a seasoned homeowner, you’ve mastered faux finishing and the art of the mosaic tile back-splash. Now, it’s time to move on to something bigger. Dare we say, something better. Many DIY home renovations require loads of time and a meticulous attention to detail. This one also requires some time and attention, but the impact you’ll get in return will blow every project you’ve ever tackled out of the water. It’s time to install a barrel ceiling kit.
How You Can Do This:
1. Purchase your kit from us or a local home improvement store.
2. Designate an area for your barrel ceiling kit. We’re using the spot over the shower for this example because it’s the perfect size, but you can also place it over a bookshelf or use multiple kits to span the length of an entire room. Part of the fun lies in the creativity of it all!
3. Decide whether you’ll want recessed lighting. If you go for the lighting, you’ll probably have to hire a licensed electrician to keep your home up to code, but the extra pizzazz may be worthwhile. The choice is entirely yours.
4. Cover your shower, or any other area that you want to remain clean and safe while you’re working.
5. Install the box frame that will support your barrel ceiling kit. All you need for this is a nail gun (or screw gun) and maybe a ladder, so don’t be intimidated! But do take care to keep your hands out of the way when you’re working.
6. Now, it’s time to install the barrel ceiling kit itself. This is the fun part! When you’re done, you’ll start to see the fruits of your labor as your new DIY project begins to take shape.
7. Now that your barrel ceiling kit is installed, it’s time for drywalling and mud. If this is your first drywall project, watch our YouTube tutorials before you get started. Oh, and be sure to use flexible sheetrock. It will save you a lot of time and aggravation.
8. Sit back and admire your work. You’ve earned a little break.