Should You Build an Arch from Scratch?
Are you thinking of trying to build an arch from scratch? Have you weighed the pros and cons? You should definitely read this first.
Read this before you decide to build an arch from scratch!So, you’ve made the decision to install an arch or two in your home. That’s awesome. It’s a very good choice (if we do say so ourselves). But now you have some choices. Are you going to build an arch from scratch, or are you going to buy one of our prefabricated arch kits? Decisions, decisions…
To help you make that call, here are some of the pros that come along with deciding to build an arch from scratch.
- You’ll get practice. If you were to opt for the prefab kits, you wouldn’t really need the practice, but you’ve got it anyway. But if you have the time, desire and skill to handle this project on your own, you will gain some experience points.
- Automatic bragging rights. Not that there’s a whole lot of bragging that goes on when you build an arch, but it’s there if you want it. You can say you did this yourself from start to finish with your own bare hands. Is that impressive? It could be; it all depends on your audience and how even your arches come out.
- You can decide you want to build an arch and get started the same day. Depending on your skill level, you could be installing that arch a day or two later.
Now, to be fair, we’ve got to give you the cons that come with the decision to build an arch yourself.
- Inconsistency. Even if you’re a master craftsman, it can be hard to get the kind of precision that you can get from a prefabricated kit.
- Money. When you build an arch from scratch, you’ll probably spend more on materials, and you’ll definitely spend more on labor. Even though it’s your time, you should still put a cost on that labor. It always ends up being more cost-effective when you install a prefab arch.
- Worry. When you build an arch yourself, you’ve got lots of worries. Will it come out okay? Will I have to scrap this attempt and start over? How much time will I spend on this as opposed to everything else I have to do? With a prefab arch, everything is extremely consistent. You know exactly what to expect every time, so you don’t have to worry.
- Time. Although you can get started building that arch immediately, that’s time that could be spent on other things. Think of buying a prefabricated arch as outsourcing. While you’re doing more important things, we’re busy at work building your arches.