Tudor arches, also known as four-centered arches, are often associated with adding the classic old world feel to the design of a home. With the tighter radius on the sides and the peak in the center, the look is reminiscent of the old world cathedrals in Europe.
How to Measure Tudor Arches
- Measure the depth of your opening to the nearest 1/8”.
- Measure the rough opening width to the nearest 1/8”.
- Enter the location (place) where the tudor arch will be installed in your project (for example: M. Bdrm Vanity, Dining Rm Niche, Study, #1 Tudor Arch).
How to Install Tudor Archways
- Measure and mark the center of the header.
- Measure and mark the total height on each stud.
- Fasten each tudor arch kit piece to the marks on the header and stud as well as to the blocking supports.
Tailored installation instructions will be supplied with your tudor archways for easy install.
How to Drywall a Tudor Arch Kit
Drywalling a tudor arch kit is comprised of measuring the curvature of the arch, cutting the drywall to the curvature and depth, forming and fastening in place.
- Wetting the back of the drywall will make the drywall easier to bend.
- For tighter radius tudor arches, consider using a double layer of either ¼” or ¼” flex drywall.
How to Finish Tudor Archways
Drywall, plaster, wood veneer, brick veneer, trim, tile…the list is seemingly endless. Whether you want your tudor archway to have a simple or an ornate finish, the choice is yours.
Tudor Archways Specifications
|Material||Medium Density Fiberboard (MDF)(High Grade Moisture Resistant)|
|Thickness (in.)||1” – 1 ½” (depending on width)|
|Depth (in.)||1” to 5 ½” Depths over 5 ½” will be made as a 2 piece split. A 2 piece split is a 5 ½” deep arch with a split cut down the center. When installing, finish the split cut and put one 2 ¾” piece on the front and the other 2 ¾” piece on the back of the opening.|
Finding Your Tudor Arch Rise
The rise of a tudor archways is roughly 30% percent of the width. For example, if you had a 5’-3 5/8” width, the rise of your tudor would be 1’-7 1/8” (63.625 * .30 = 19.0875). The fixed percentage allows the rise to scale with the width, which keeps the shape intact.
How Do You Ship My Tudor Archways?
Depending upon the size of your order, most tudor arch kits ship in boxes via UPS Ground. If you order several arch kits, or if you also order a ceiling or wall design kit, it could ship on a pallet via LTL common carrier. If you’d like to know how it will ship before placing your order, simply call us and we’ll let you know.
“Calais has been using Archways &Ceilings since 2009. Their products provide the builder with accurate dome ceilings, barrel vaults, groin vaults, and tudor archways. There has never been a design by any of our architects that Archways & Ceilings has not been able to manufacture. Once you have used Archways & Ceilings, you will never want to do the arches and ceilings any other way.”
Christine Riggs / Project Manager
Calais Custom Homes, Southlake, TX